1. Login to your WCP control panel.
Note: You can view our topic on logging into WCP if you need help with this step.
2. Once logged in if you are not already on the domain in questions control panel page then click on the ‘Hosted Domains’ drop-down from the top of the pages navigation bar. Then select the desired domain you wish to create a domain alias on.
3. Now in the control panel for the domain you’ll see the ‘Domains’ section. Within this section find and click the ‘Domain Aliases’ icon.
4. The domain alias should now be successfully added and you should see it listed in your list of existing domain aliases.
5. Now enter the desired domain alias in the ‘Domain Name’ field. Double check that the domain is spelled correctly, then click ‘Save’.
6. The domain alias should now be successfully added and you should see it listed in your list of existing domain aliases.
Note: A domain alias will only work if you point the domain you’re trying to alias to the server you’re setting the domain alias on.
7. In order for the domain alias to resolve properly to the same server as the main ( original ) domain the domain alias must have it’s DNS pointing to the server the domain alias is set on.
You have two options for updating the domain alias to point to the server, which we’ll go over below and then also show how to obtain the info for each:
A) Update the name servers for the domain to point to the pair of name servers the hosting package you have is assigned.
B) Update the A Record for the site to point to the IP Address of the server.
Note: If updating the A Record for the domain alias then we recommend updating the record for www and non-www so both point to the server.
8. To get the IP Address and / or name servers that the domain alias needs to be updated to click the ‘Site Details’ icon in your WCP control panel.
9. The Name Servers and IP Address information can be found next to their respective sections in this ‘Site Details’ pane as shown below:
Delete Domain Alias
If you ever need to delete a domain alias then you can click on the trash can icon to the right of the domain alias as shown in the screenshot below: